Vinyl Fence Products Questions and Answers
Need answers to your vinyl fence questions? Take advantage of our expertise with our list of common vinyl fence products questions and answers. Whether you are an individual thinking about vinyl fence as a good investment for your home or a fence dealer interested in taking your part in this fantastic industry, we are always happy to assist.
For the do-it-yourselfer, we can help answer all your questions and provide you with the right materials, accessories and hardware. Western Vinyl Products meets or exceeds the industry standards for quality, safety, specific use needs and longevity.
Frequently Asked Questions
A: Vinyl fence is comprised of more than 80% poly vinyl chloride. The other 20% are additives such as impact resistant, long term weatherability, and titanium dioxide.
Vinyl is made up of a co-extrusion process which brings together 2 layers of vinyl. The outer layer, called cap stock, contains high concentrations of essential elements such as UV inhibitors. ASTM standards for rigidity in PVC exterior profiles requires the cap stock to be a minimum 0.015″ thick.
The inner layer, called substrate, is the same material as the cap stock, but with lower UV inhibitors. Sometime the substrate can be a different pigmentation.
This process normally costs a little more, but gives the consumer a stronger, more durable product.
A: The base ingredient is rigid PVC (polyvinyl chloride) modified to provide superior impact strength and ultraviolet (UV) resistance. The formulation is similar to that of vinyl siding which has a 20-year history of providing long-term durability and structural integrity.
A: The brand of vinyl that we carry has a manufacturer’s warranty on the product itself, not installation or labor, for 20 years on a non-prorated basis. The warranty covers the color of the product as well as any peeling or cracking.
A: No! Our vinyl has a 20-year warranty that says it will not turn yellow.
A: Titanium dioxide is the main ultraviolet inhibitor. It is a white pigment. Therefore, it is difficult to obtain a dark color while having this significant amount of white pigment. Dark colors also absorb heat. There is no current technology that dissipates this heat buildup.
A: As with most plastics, vinyl will become less flexible in colder weather conditions. However, unless subjected to unusual impact, it will not break. It is normal for materials to expand and contract during temperature changes. Our product has been engineered to accommodate normal temperature swings and changing climatic conditions.
A: If you have a special project you want fabricated in vinyl, please fax simple diagrams and specs along with your name, return fax, physical address and phone numbers. We will get a quote and completion time back to you the same day.
A: Very simply, it’s not! Although your investment is more initially, this is where your expense ends. The cost difference is quickly eliminated once the substantial cost of continuous maintenance of a wood fence is considered. Vinyl fencing is the economical way to go, confidently saving you time and money with a fence backed by a 20 year warranty.
A: There should be no reason to paint vinyl. If you decide to, epoxy-based paints need to be used in order to adhere to the smooth vinyl surfaces. As with any painted product, it would have to be repainted in time. Painting would void the warranty.
A: Use of a non-abrasive liquid cleaning agent is normally sufficient. However, for more stubborn stains, a product similar to ‘Soft Scrub’ may be helpful.
Q: Can my kids climb on it? Will it hold my animals? Will my horse chew on it? Will my weed eater scratch or hurt it?
A: Vinyl products have smooth surfaces with no nails, sharp edges or chance for splinters. You, your children, pets and animals are all safer. Vinyl has a tough surface, retains virtually no moisture and has no taste – therefore horses will not “crib” or chew on it. In addition, experience shows that vinyl fencing holds up to routine property maintenance, including the use of most types of weed eaters.
A: Light chalking is a normal occurrence of any pigmented surface. Washed away by rainfall and normal changes in weather, this process helps to keep your fence looking like new. In effect, it could be described as virtually “self cleaning”.
A: PVC has a high flash point of 900° F and does not readily ignite. It is therefore categorized as being self-extinguishing.